This week I finished the first version of the barcode scanning flow I've been working on for Noisebridge. It's a very simple Rust CLI that listens for input from a specified input device, and outputs only valid ISBN13 codes that it receives. Today I'll work on a small Go program to take the ISBN numbers, looks them up and records the books in a PostgreSQL database. The next step after that is a small web service which allows people to search the books and see what we have at Noisebridge.
It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to sit down and write a nicely thought out blog post, but in the complete absence of any rhythm in recent postings I figured I'd write down some thoughts about the last 2 weeks. I've been making slow (mostly due to time commitments), but good progress on the USB barcode scanner project I've been hacking on for Noisebridge. One of the frustrations in choosing Rust for this project was the lack of API stability in pre-1.